Saturday, March 19, 2016

Love vs Stuff

Mom, Daddy, Gram, Papa, and later, Aunty Dena weren't young when I got them, and Agnes wasn't too springy a chicken, either. But they all gave me everything I could ever want. As much as I treasured them it never once occurred to me to count their belongings and trappings as blessings separate from them. We always had a house, heat, clothes, food, working vehicles - this is normal life for me, and is a product of planning and hard work. When they all started checking out, I began to realize that no amount if love I had for them could keep them from having to go that way, and none if them could take me with them, not even a step. I was helping Gram clean some China once when we came across a set of plates. I was taken with their simplistic beauty and asked if one day, when I had a house of my own, could those plates relocate to my cabinets. She said, yes, they can be your wedding present from me. But plates are not love and memories, as beautiful as they were. From the era of which my family came, it was customary for, upon parting, you offered your guest something to take with them. Gram would always ask me before I left her house, "Neicie, I got anything you need?" I would hug her and say, "No, Gram, just don't forget my plates. I love you!" If I could say it to her all again, I wouldn't mention the plates. Love and memories can sometimes be uncomfortable, but I wouldn't trade any of that, as those were my family's greatest gifts to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment